Thursday, September 1, 2011

Living on Purpose

"Live on purpose." I don't remember where I first heard this, but it stuck with me. It's really easy to start living accidentally, going about your normal routines, saying hello, driving to work, responding to emails, doing your job, the list goes on and on. Are you doing those things intentionally? That is, do you ever stop and think about why you are living your life the way that you are? Or even if you enjoy your life?

Sometimes I forget to be happy. Silly isn't it? But it happens. I go through a couple days at work, some family drama at home, or maybe analyzing guy problems with girl friends. Then, after a few days of serious, problem addressing, stress inducing monotony, something happens to break my stride.

Sounds and smells usually do it for me. If a smell extraordinarily lovely flowers or hear little toddlers laughing, it always feels as if a spell has been broken. I remember...

I start thinking about God, about love, about joy, wonder, awe, excitement, passion, love...all those warm-fuzzy happy things. Praise the Lord! I'm alive again with a breathe of fresh air and I can continue on my way with a little more "oomph" than I had 10 minutes ago.

So about this whole "purpose" concept. I recently had a discussion with someone about if people's intentions matter when it comes to donating and volunteering to various causes. Does it matter if someone gives $100 to feed children in poor countries? Or volunteers at a soup kitchen? Or gives to Christmas sharing?

Most of us feel most comfortable when those giving want to give, but it's okay if the giving comes from wanting to "look good." Hey, someone gets the help regardless of the motivation, right? But what about if someone is donating because they feel they are supposed to? Without a care one way or the other. Sure, it doesn't hurt those who receive the charity, but does it hurt the donater? I know how I feel after volunteering, revived, refreshed, rejouvenated. I feel alive! What about those who help out of guilt? That cannot be healthy, right?

I still don't know where I stand on the subject, but it's interesting to me, mostly because I had never thought to think about it before. I suppose sometimes intentions do matter. Perhaps.

No comments: